Applications & Use Cases
Manned Unmanned Teaming
Today's militaries are in the midst of major recapitalization efforts with the shift towards increased unmanned systems (UxV) use. In particular, the U.S. Army has made great strides in developing open architectures (i.e. RAS-G IOP) to enhance fielded UxV capabilities and extend their life-cycle. The objective is to significantly improve the capabilities and effectiveness of UxVs and ultimately realize the vision of soldiers and machines fighting together as a manned-unmanned teaming (MUMT) unit.
To realize this goal, it is required that soldiers be able to command and control (C2) robotic systems and UxVs from a truly common and man-portable footprint. Tomahawk Robotics is delivering this capability to customers today through the Kinesis™ product family. Kinesis provides a common control solution that is agnostic to robotic hardware, communications hardware, or even the specific end user device (EUD).
The result is a secure, low-cost, common control system that outperforms custom-built alternatives across the board, lightens the soldier’s load, and works seamlessly with existing tactical equipment and tools - extending capabilities and mission effectiveness.
The figure above illustrates a team equipped with sUAS for organic ISR, a small UGV for remote breaching and a nUAS for additional ISR capability. The squad is connected over a tactical MANET radio network (i.e. Persistent Systems MPU5) with ATAK enabled end user devices (EUDs). ATAK allows all team members to communicate, call for various support elements and view the data from the sUAS platform.
The Kinesis product family (Kinesis Mobile app, Kinesis ATAK plugin, nUAS MxC and KxM) extends the existing tactical equipment of the team to enable:
- Common control of sUAS, nUAS and UGV from the Kinesis Mobile app (runs on existing Android-based EUDs)
- Full UxV fleet sensor and telemetry distribution to entire team via Kinesis ATAK plugin
- nUAS (including non-attributable platforms such as SparrowHawk) integrated securely onto the tactical MANET and ATAK via MxC
- AI/ML edge processing for real-time video analytics from all UxV platforms via KxM and broadcast over ATAK
- Reduced solider burden through reuse of EUDs for common control and lightweight, wearable KxM ATAK server with AI/ML processing
Why Tomahawk Robotics?
Tomahawk Robotics is focused on providing platform agnostic control solutions. We recognize that the dynamic environment you operate in requires a range of tools and support equipment. We are opening up the ability to use these tools safely, efficiently and effectively with your current tactical equipment giving you a broader “battlefield of things” ecosystem for multi-domain operations.
- Integrates with current ecosystem of tactical tools – EUDs, tactical radios, ATAK, etc.
- Mimic is an intuitive, one-handed spatial controller that augments Kinesis Mobile to simplify control of robotic vehicles and payloads (i.e. sensors or manipulators)
- KxM provides users with a central C2 hub capable of running AI/ML algorithms to facilitate video analytics, metadata tagging, and enhanced data visualization
- MxC enables nano and micro class UxVs (systems too small to carry a tactical radio) to be securely integrated into the Kinesis ecosystem and the broader tactical network via the Kinesis ATAK plugin
- The Kinesis family is a low-cost, highly portable, easy to use software-based common UxV/robotic control system that works across all common air and ground platforms
- Train to a single human machine interface (HMI) for all UxV systems on the most intuitive control system available
- Interoperability across commonly deployed systems – improve the versatility of your investment with inherent future proof benefits of open architecture solutions
- Extend and upgrade existing systems with AI/ML capabilities for the next step in tactical innovation
- Reduce your equipment load out - one EUD for all your control system needs and ATAK integration